Monday, August 18, 2008

Shoulder Pads and Synthesizers

A sober appraisal of the late 80s/early 90s pop music phenomenon and our collective journey towards recovery:


Being born in the mid-80s, I must make it exceptionally clear that my generation had absolutely nothing to do with unleashing the following upon the world. I know nothing of shoulder pads, their insertion into leatherwear, or the wearing thereof. At no point have I worn a single white glove, a shirtless ‘Rico Suave’-esque jacket, or parachute pants. I believe ‘you CAN touch this’, if you so choose. I don’t deem it necessary to ‘pump up the jam’. And quite frankly, I can find no reason to ‘wear my sunglasses at night’.

It should be fairly obvious to all involved that ‘gen-X’ owes someone an apology. Oh sure, they may be known as a brooding bunch, with a dark sense of humour and overstated sarcasm, but the following is truly what they will be remembered for. It’s a supply and demand market, and in 1990, someone was demanding that which is depicted below.

So please, a simple apology is all that is required, and then we can let the healing begin.

Milli:



HAMMER:



Rick .. click




UPDATE:

In the interest of being the bigger man here, and getting the ball rolling, I'd like to be the first to say that my generation and I sincerly apologize for the following:


No comments: