Monday, August 18, 2008

Shoulder Pads and Synthesizers

A sober appraisal of the late 80s/early 90s pop music phenomenon and our collective journey towards recovery:

Being born in the mid-80s, I must make it exceptionally clear that my generation had absolutely nothing to do with unleashing the following upon the world. I know nothing of shoulder pads, their insertion into leatherwear, or the wearing thereof. At no point have I worn a single white glove, a shirtless ‘Rico Suave’-esque jacket, or parachute pants. I believe ‘you CAN touch this’, if you so choose. I don’t deem it necessary to ‘pump up the jam’. And quite frankly, I can find no reason to ‘wear my sunglasses at night’.

It should be fairly obvious to all involved that ‘gen-X’ owes someone an apology. Oh sure, they may be known as a brooding bunch, with a dark sense of humour and overstated sarcasm, but the following is truly what they will be remembered for. It’s a supply and demand market, and in 1990, someone was demanding that which is depicted below.

So please, a simple apology is all that is required, and then we can let the healing begin.



Rick .. click


In the interest of being the bigger man here, and getting the ball rolling, I'd like to be the first to say that my generation and I sincerly apologize for the following:

No comments: